WINDHEAT is a European R&D project funded by the European Commission within the 7th Framework Programme. It will have a duration of two years (2013-2015). The overall aim of this project is to offer a cost effective solution for the ice formation in wind turbines.
1. To develop and demonstrate a novel ice detection system for the real-time detection of ice formation on wind turbine blades.
2. To fabricate and demonstrate an ultra-efficient, spatially localised, de-icing system utilising a carbon nanotube composite appropriate for installation into the turbine blade at point of manufacture
3. To integrate the developed novel ice detection and de-icing systems into a single, intelligent, unit.
1. To advance ice deposition understanding on and around wind turbine blades.
2. To understand how ice may be detected and measured on wind turbine blades.
3. To develop cutting edge de-icing knowledge.